View Single Post
Old 2008-12-02, 05:23   Link #268
kyon.haruhi.suzumiya

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post
There's always a question of who's taking it more seriously. I could be serious, but it seems my opposition is even more serious lol

Can a fictional character not be worshipped? Should the worshippers of the Monkey God stop worshipping? They worshipping a character of a famous piece of Chinese literature, Journery to the West. The Monkey God has shrines all over Asia and I think some in the west as well.

Religion works in many ways, how gods are worshipped is different as well. You guys are relating Haruhism to how you view Christianity and your ways. I who is not relating it to any religion is just someone who followed Haruhi-sama's ways and so I'm a follower of her and I call myself a worshipper of her.

Is the word worship that different in your point of view and from mine? I certainly do think so. Even for normal fans, they all the adoration towards their idols, a form of worship. The word worship does not have a single form, worshipping can work in many ways. Does worshipping mean you must pray to your god to thank for them for your every meal? Besides Christianity, I don't know any other religion that does the same.

To me religion is a just a form of belief, a way to follow and its towards a certain figure or being.

@Kaisos, since you watched FLCL like what, 40 times over? You should know that Mamimi chose her god, from the fire god to Canti.

Gods may not always choose their followers, they can't. Its the individual himself who chooses in who to believe. When there are people who believe and follow you, you are a god in their eyes, even if you're not a god.
Maybe you should try reading this article.
http://that.animeblogger.net/2007/12...comment-153920

OK, I decided to copy it over here.

Quote:
1. I am not a member of this silly ‘religion’. Nor will I ever be.
2. This ‘religion’ is nothing more than a very successful Japanese otaku-centric marketing campaign. FYI, not many have heard of the novels until AFTER the show was aired.
3. A fair amount of the proponents of this ‘religion’ I have met are some of the most disagreeable people on the planet or mindless corporate whores( I got nothin’ om the latter). Worse than atheists, and they are already bad enough with their ‘I’m better than you’ atitude. (Yes, given a choice to be in this ‘religion’ or being an atheist, I’d take the latter, if I wasn’t in an established religion already. And I don’t like atheism.)
And here's more:

Quote:
Extrange: I’m trying to not turn this into some quasi-religious debate. Because it all turns into something of the sort, because we’re dealing with religion here.
And to set the record straight, I’m male, a born-again Christian (not a fundie, I’m friggen’ Protestant), and while I’m rather accepting of most religions (yes I love the Catholic, the Muslim, the Jew and whatnot, yes, even those who think the FSM made the world andd whatnot :V), I can’t see the point of this ‘religion’. Unless the point is to market the novels, show, and related merchandise.
What pisses me off is that people try to portray it as a legitimate religion, even though it is not. Worse still, people are buying into this.
A religion based on a consumerist culture isn’t a religion, it’s a well-crafted marketing ploy. It’s not even deserving of the ‘cult’ status.
I have to say this because this seems to be happening more often in recent months, and I would just like you people to realise the consequences as I have stated earlier. Please.

I suddenly feel like a jerk for supporting Haruhi x Kyon now. Maybe I should back up Sasaki like Sute443 and Shimathekat...