View Single Post
Old 2012-09-20, 08:57   Link #482
Katapan
俺様祭り

I wish noitaminA wasn't on break for several weeks until the fall shows start. I wanted my WAIT FOR xx.xx trailer today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HosannaExcelsis View Post
It's always puzzled me why, if noitaminA has been struggling in ratings ever since the switch to an hour timeslot, Fuji didn't try switching it back to a half-hour.
Two reasons, I'd guess:

1. Because ratings don't even matter that much anymore. At this point, I'm not even sure the current ratings should even be considered as placing noitaminA in 'danger' - sure, they still do count as Fuji TV still places "normal" advertising during the broadcast and nothing too anime-related, so some profit's still made there. But it's most likely turned into a small share of the money compared to disc sales, which is what noitaminA has come to bank on like your average anime production, and which hasn't worked out too badly for the past few seasons (leaving this summer aside, I suppose). Even though a major hit like AnoHana has yet to be recreated, Aniplex must certainly still be trying (noitaminA does maintain better visibility than your other average slot, in spite of the dwindling ratings), and as long as there'll be producer demand for the second timeslot, it'll be maintained. We might have to start getting worried the day Aniplex has a streak of 4 Natsuyuki Rendez-vous-level sales.

2. I think they're aware that going back to a half-hour timeslot wouldn't even work to bring the ratings back at this point. They've tried going back to "noitaminA-like" shows for a bit, which didn't work out at all, in the sense that ratings haven't moved one bit. Going the "otaku-pandering" way (sorry for the ugly shortcuts, but they get the point across) even for a bit was an irreversible choice, it would seem. Maybe it'd work if they announced huge adaptations such as, say... Sangatsu no Lion, or Gin no Saji - but then creating a new timeslot to start afresh might just work better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobester11 View Post
noitaminA wanted a big hit,
Fuji wants ratings,
aniplex wants profits

Sadly, yeah the 1 hour isn't really goin well (both ratings and sales) being beaten by the TBS block
Beaten by the TBS block? It's doing far worse than noitaminA these days. NakaImo, KoiChoco, KMB, Acchi Kocchi, all flops. Maybe you meant MBS's Animeism block?