Thread: Food you cook
View Single Post
Old 2012-01-24, 08:19   Link #19
Paranoid Android
Underweight Food Hoarder

Send a message via MSN to Paranoid Android
My favorite dish that I can actually cook is spicy stir-fried kidneys. I make this usually for special occasions.

I don't follow recipes when I cook nor do I measure my stuff. I'm just gonna wing this:

- Pork kidney, cut it into thick slices (clean the middle of the kidney), then carve patterns into each slice (increase surface area for flavour, and appeal)

Spoiler for Pattern:

- Soak it in cold water with a spoon of salt (Eyeball it) and several spoons of chili paste for an hour. Then drain.

- Cut a cucumber into thin slices (diagonally), or some Japanese squash/cucumber looking thing that I can't name.

- Split 1~2 bamboo shoots into thin slices.

- Crush garlic, ginger. Cut leek rings.

- Fill a pan or w/e with a thick line of oil (I like to use petroleum ) and Soy sauce. How much soy sauce is based on # of people and preference. I just pour it out of the bottle so I can't give a # of spoons.

- Catapult the kidneys and bamboo shoots into the pan. Add Sichuan peppercorn and 10~20 whole dried red hot chili pepper (the band of course). You could split them for more spiciness or use green. It depends on your diplomatic relations with red and green peppers.

- Stir for an arbitrary 30 seconds. If the kidney slices look dead, mix the cucumber slices and ginger. Also add a small amount of sugar. I recall my mother said it brings out something out of the dish (It summons Cthulu)

- When the kidneys look brown-gray (EDIBLE) and bamboo shoots are floppy like chinese swords, pour the whole thing into a deep plate (if there's a lot of liquid. you may need to drain. I know Canadian meat all have hammerspace holding 50 gallons of water/blood)

- Sprinkle the leek rings and garlic at the end.

- Some people add other types of oils for certain tastes, I don't add anything.

- Serve

On a normal day, I
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist007 View Post
Pasta...from a package
Raamen...from a package
Eggs...from a shell
Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote