View Single Post
Old 2006-05-25, 01:27   Link #71
bobrobberts

Looks is everything when reading manga. You may not like it, but people don't want to see an ugly character. It's the mentality of the people. This is the reason why most main characters are appealling (Ussopp is an exception, but he's comic relief). Chopper obviously appeals to girls.

You cannot also compare Luffy's past with Franky. Luffy was a child when he saw Shanks arm missing. Seeing something like that is more tramatic when you're a child than a teenager. Look at Robin and the Buster Call. Though Franky's past is tragic, it doesn't compare with the crew. Every crew member's tragic past happened when they were children. Franky's past happened when he was a teenager.

Also, children do stupid things. You shouldn't be surprised if he confronts a dangerous man when he's pissed. When you're a teeenager, it's different. Though teenagers do many stupid things, they do know the difference between right and wrong. So going around building warships and thinking it's okay is just asking for trouble. Also, he puts it in a place when everyone can take it. I agree with you that a girl who gets raped because she wore something skimpy should never be blamed. But the analogy is wrong. A much better analogy would be, a guy wearing an expensive watch and walking into the ghettos in the middle of the night without even making an effort to hide it.

Though Franky Family are not his real family, he won't abandon them. They're portrayed more like brothers and sisters. Sanji's case was different. I got the feeling that he had a friend-relationship with the other cooks.

Don't be too quick to dismiss my story. There will be a carpenter by the end of the arc. I have a weird feeling it's a girl. Also, character development is only necessary for that arc. Franky is important for the Water 7 arc, that's the reason why he got so many manga pages devoted to him. Think of Norland Montblanc. They spent time on him because it was necessary to explain the plot. When this arc is over, I have a feeling they'll introduce a new character and that character will be the next crew member.
bobrobberts is offline   Reply With Quote