View Single Post
Old 2012-12-02, 11:09   Link #38
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
While I agree with you that it shouldn't determine your own value on the subject, if you're like me and have been observing the industry for like nearly three decades (mainly on the manga side) it's kinda become part of your life to pay some attention to it.

For example, let's say if Magi on air currently wasn't fairing very well, I would think "gee, they may not make another season of this, and it will end incomplete. I wonder if they'll give it original ending, or just end after a stopping point." I can't say that wouldn't affect the experience with watching the anime, although I would attempt to set it aside and watch the show. (Thankfully the ratings Magi is getting is fantastic. )
This is fine, if you've developed an interest, but as you see our preferences are different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyl View Post
You are saying that you don't care because it doesn't effect you because you only watch them.
Actually it does effect you as the viewer, based on the complaints that i have seen in various forums about the increased trend of getting more "moeblob" or "ecchi fanservice" shows or lack of certain other type shows. This trend is related to the succes and "busts" of those series.
It's rather that you know that you don't have any control over this trend, is the reason why you are not caring about it. Seeing that you are not the intended demographic target for their sales.
I think you misinterpreted my post. Whether it affects me or not is not the issue. My point is that sales does prove something for the grand scheme of the industry, but not of the anime itself. I don't have any concern for praising the business strategies of them. The value of sales is not attributed fairly imo.

So what's the worse that could happen? Oh dear, I stop watching anime. What will I do? Make angry posts about it over the internet? Or maybe I get over myself and not rant about moeblobs and ecchi fanservice. Then again, I like the later anyways. Hah! I'm in line with the fanbase's taste. Surely earth shattering. I think the market works well on its own without me being involved. That's the beauty of a free market.

And you might be right about not being able to control the trend. But that just increases my thoughts on not caring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
So if something you liked sold 80k or 1k you wouldn't give a shit? You wouldn't care that a sequel is more than likely on the way or has no chance of getting off the ground? You wouldn't care if your fav director just put out a commericail failure which means he wouldn't have a chance to direct again (like say Yamakan lol) or that another one of your fav directors (Hosada da gawd) just made a smash hit movie? You wouldn't care if someones directorial debut was stunning but he won't get another chance because of low sales? You wouldn't care if a long running light novel/manga you loved had a one cour adaptation which was a sales flop? Meaning the best of the series will never get animated? (or lets say most of it isn't translated and your best bet to see the end was multiple anime sequels?)

Lol, would you like me to rephrase my post to say I give 0.15 fucks? Here: "The subject of hand does contain trace amounts of concerns, but there are insufficient fucks to give a damn". Semantics debates are so cool!

Sure it's nice if a show I like sells well, but whether it sells 4k or 40k has no bearing on how I view the anime. I respect their business practices, but that's it.

Also, I expanded my justification a few posts down. If you had spent less time attempting to be witty and reading the thread, you might have seen it.

Oh, and the best material isn't getting animated anyways. So oh well. Whatever best means.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2012-12-02 at 14:26. Reason: removed retort image from quote
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote