View Single Post
Old 2013-07-24, 17:01   Link #8434
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaito-kid View Post
@Deadpool2000:

I don't really have a problem if you say that Shinn is one of the main characters. He obviously is and if we look at who got the most screen time and focus from the first episode to that last one in Destiny it's obviously Shinn, But the problem is if you say he is The protagonist of Destiny. I can't agree with that.

To bring it back to the current discussion, Kira is without a doubt the protagonist of SEED. What he does as a character and the way his is developed obviously drives the show. Even when he becomes slightly less important to the main plot in the last act of the story as Athrun and Lacus also get more focus, there are many sub-plots added where he plays a pivotal role. He can not be replaced in the 2nd half (what a stupid discussion btw) or at any point in the story without changing the framework of the show itself. The same thing can not be said about Shinn.

Let's take SEED as an example, try to draw a relationship chart for Kira in SEED and after that make one for Shinn is Destiny.. You'll see that Kira is in the center, connected to most of the primary and secondary characters and he'll also be the pivot and sometimes even the linchpin in a lot of important event.. Shinn's chart will look very different, he'll not be in the center and there will be less lines in his chart.. probably only a little more then Athrun.

I understand that Shinn has the most screen time and focus when compared to the other characters in Destiny. So yeah, you can say that he is the protagonist, I think that's a fair point. but when we look at his (non existing) character development or the limited impact he has on the main plot and a lot of the sub plots where he is absent, It does become questionable. That's my point.
Regardless of how clear Shinn was the protagonist, it is more questionable to say that any particular character has replaced him as a protagonist of the story, especially on the basis of one scene.

Also,

Spoiler for image:
Key:

Athrun Meyrin Stella Cagalli
Yuna Lunamaria
Kira Djibril Rey
Lacus Durandal Shinn

Ah, I forgot Neo, which would be connected to Stella, Shinn, and Murrue, which I also forgot.

I suppose Athrun could also be connected to Durandal and Meer, and Meer (again I forgot) be connected to Durandal and Lacus,

And Kira and Athrun are connected to Cagalli.

LOL, I should just redo it.

Here you go:
Spoiler for image:

Last edited by monster; 2013-07-24 at 17:15.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote