Thread: Licensed Tamayura ~Hitotose~
View Single Post
Old 2011-10-14, 20:56   Link #83
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThereminVox View Post
This may just be my own view, but I think this might stem from the hyper self-awareness that has crept into that particular sub-genre. There's a jaded edge to most of the comedy in shows that feature the four girl cast, with few moments of sincerity to break up the avalanche of self-deprecating and self-referential gags which sometimes seem designed to establish otaku cred, or to give off a detatched coolness. Tamayura makes no attempt at being cool, and so far doesn't seem remotely sorry for being what it is. I find that refreshing, but opinions may vary.

Tamayura is very... tactile, though I hesitate to use that word to describe an audio-visual presentation. The music and sound design combine with the vivid pictures to create a world that you feel like you can smell, or even touch. It pushes all the right buttons in my head to make me feel what it wants me to feel, and I dig that.

I really enjoy the OP, too. It has a great hook, but it doesn't feel pop-y, or forced. The first time I saw the opening animation and heard the song, it felt like the crew was saying "Hey, we made something we're really proud of, please watch." A lot of care looks like it went into this show. I doubt I'd enjoy it half as much if you couldn't feel that just from watching.
Excellent post, and I agree with all of it.

You're right, the vast majority of shows in this sub-genre would have played to otaku tropes in a much more clear-cut way.

For example, there's quite a bit of close female bonding here, but at no point did I get a sense of... *wink, wink, nudge, nudge* Enjoying the yuri subtext? *wink, wink, nudge, nudge*

I almost recommended A-Channel to vansonbee, but I just couldn't do it, precisely for differences like this one, which I really do think makes a considerable difference.