View Single Post
Old 2012-11-30, 20:34   Link #1462
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyjay729 View Post
Here's my theory of what's going on in this world...

All this emphasis on keeping one's sanity and stress level down (to the point of overmedication) actually bumps up people's Criminal Coefficients. It's like bolting down a steam valve instead of venting excess steam...and things are going to blow up big-time sooner or later.

The big question with this series, of course, is how did this system all come about? I don't doubt that will be the main point of the last few episodes.

Some of you may think this entry should go under the Sybil System morality discussion. But I'm just trying to ask "how" in this case, not "why".
With this in mind, I think that one of the themes of Psyco-Pass might be one that's supportive of the Jungian concept of Shadow.

To simplify it greatly, everybody has a "darker side" with emotions and impulses that are generally thought of as "negative". These emotions and impulses need some sort of outlet; they can't be forever denied and ignored as though they don't exist at all. If they are forever denied, you can get a Dr. Jekyll/Mr.Hyde style of breakdown, where constantly maintaining a perfect conception of self eventually overwhelms an individual and they endure something of an emotional breakdown.

Now, the question comes, what acceptable outlets does the Psycho-Pass world offer for the Jungian Shadow?

Well, there's this VR world that we saw in the Spooky Boogie arc. But aside from that, there appears to be little escape from a heavily conformist culture and society that desires constant psychological beauty.

So yeah, andyjay, I think you may very well be right in your speculations.