View Single Post
Old 2013-03-25, 20:32   Link #438
CXu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randrak42 View Post
I've said this more than enough times and this topic has already been discussed to death. Not including romance was a CHOICE on the part of JC Staff and NOT a NECESSITY. They turned it into a necessity due to their own choices.

Not even the VN gave off a harem feel, much less would an anime adaptation of it if they kept in the romance anyway. A careful and smart use of the loops was all that would be needed to pull it off, but they didn't even bother with it.
And Refrain alone is a romanceless route all about friendship...it's all you need really.

Personally, it's not about whether or not they will animate the Kurugaya route (they most certainly will) but mostly because of the fact that the whole route is centered around Riki and Kurugaya's romance. It's not just an important plot point like in the Haruka and Kud routes (that even taken out severely downgrades the plot but still works) it's the core of the damn plot and by the way things are going they will come up with a BS way to turn it all about friendship rather than the romance.
This hits harder for me since the Kurugaya route and her character are both my favorite parts of LB.

I'm not saying the anime has been wrong in everything and is the worst thing ever...I kind of like some of the things they did...hell, I loved it up until midway through the Komari route. When it comes to showing friendship within the group it's actually spot on and handled a bit better than in the VN, the minor Common Route scenes are also generally well done and nicely adapted and most of all Rin's relationship with Komari seems much deeper and fleshed out than in the VN (I always considered the Refrain scene with both of them was much weaker because of the lack interaction they had throughout the VN).

My problem ultimately boils down to the Cons far outweighing the Pros, not in number but in individual weight.
It's a choice Shimada Michiru did with the guidance from KEY themselves, where the original authors all had input into the final product. If you believe you have a better grasp of the most important elements of the story than the authors themselves, then knock yourself out.

A scene in the anime cqn feel less powerful because you've already seen it before, and therefore thinks it's inferior to the original.

Oh and the VN doesn't feel like a harem because of how VNs work. You're not going to capture the same feel in anime, ever. It's a completely different medium.

So if the changes done in this adaption were deemed necessary by KEY for it to work, I for one will wait until we reach the conclusion and I've seen everything before I judge if something important was left out or not.