View Single Post
Old 2003-11-21, 01:41   Link #4
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

I've got a few very good suggestions for you. Every one of these is rooted in reality, containing interesting characters and deep stories.
  • Human Scramble: Stories about people facing a turning point in their lives. Very realistic and heartwarming. Your mother will love it. The downside is that only 4 episodes have been subbed so far, but r-b seems serious about getting the rest of the series out in a timely manner. Since every episode is self-contained try showing her an episode. Any episode. And see if she likes it.
  • Detective Academy Q: A really good mystery series with really cool puzzles, good humor and interesting characters. Get the Live-eviL version, I checked them all out before deciding that it's the best. It is in well-seeded 4 episode batches.
  • Piano: Hearwarming story of a teenage girl. There is no real plot, just a slice of her life at an important time in her growing up. Very well done. It consists of just 10 episodes which have all been subbed. Get the batched episodes subbed by Solar.
  • Rumic Theatre: Another anime taking place in the real world. Every episode stands alone with different characters and a different story. It is based upon Rumiko Takahashi's short stories, but doesn't resemble Inu-Yasha at all. If it resembles anything she's done, it is Maison Ikkoku. These stories are funny, but also a bit traumatic, so don't marathon them. Make sure that you spell them out interspersed with other anime. You'll understand why when you watch it.
  • Tenshi na Konamaiki: This show is the wierdest one that I'm suggesting. While it has some serious wierdness at the beginning, strangely this isn't a wierd show. You'll see what I mean after only two episodes. This is a romantic comedy whose theme is exploring the underlying differences between men and women. This is definetly not one of those sexist harem shows. This is fun and romantic and sometimes very insightful. Oh yes, it's also very funny and heartwarming.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.