View Single Post
Old 2009-07-17, 14:45   Link #115
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeX-kun View Post
Plot devices were created because everything has been done before. If you want something original, I doubt that anyone can come up with one. Again, they didn't reach a dead end here, the plot was laid out since it's based off the game. There are always 2 sides to everything, but the results will be the same. There will always be someone to complain about it. Let's say this anime had an ending of hopelessness, then what? We'll have someone like you coming in here arguing that it would have been better to have a happy ending. This anime wasn't made to please only you.

On a side note, Bleach is irrelevant to this discussion.
I really don't see how that addresses my point. It being based off a game doesn't mean anything. And the reason I mentioned Bleach was because i rmemeber having a similar convo with someone about that.

Quote:
Nobody here ever said that it was perfect and you can quote me on that. Only you said it was. The theme was Tomoya trying to live through an imperfect world? Really? The theme of this anime was family, the main one that is and it was fairly obvious. I don't know where you get the notion that this anime was about Tomoya trying to live through an imperfect world because the ending of this series proves otherwise.
The fact that a load of shit happens to Tomoya? Not just Tomoya but to others as well. The only thing that proves otherwise is the ending and that's exactly what I'm complaining about. It's a Slice of Life isn't it? I know it's a fantasy aswell but the Fantasy shouldn't contradict the slice of life. I guess I ought to go back to my original point: If the purpose of the show is defeated by realism then that's kind of a weak purpose isn't it?

Quote:
You completely lost me here because I have no idea what you said in the first half of this paragraph, actually, I didn't understand most of it. Point here is that Tomoya didn't know what would come out of the miracle, all he wished for was to save Ushio and in the end he got Nagisa back as well. He had his choice in the beginning of episode 22, Tomoya could have decided to ignore Nagisa so he wouldn't have to make her suffer but he realized that he really didn't regret meeting her. If it meant that he had to go through all the pain and suffering again, he would take the risk. Again, there is no theme as the one that you claim. This anime isn't about suffering and tragic endings. This isn't Romeo and Juliet, this is Clannad. It's about family and hope.
That's what I'm complaining about. Tomoya not realising doesn't mean anything against my point. My point was that there were alternatives to the happy ending which still had all the development and still covered the theme of the show (the family and hope theme as well) without it being so perfect (or as perfect as it can get, if you insist). The paragraph you replyed to was me giving such an example.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote