View Single Post
Old 2006-01-13, 01:53   Link #81
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran
wingdarkness, what you said is pretty much true for every single Gundam show until Seed. I may be wrong, but I think that there's either an action sequence or combat in every single episode of these Gundam shows except for recap episodes and episode 1 of Turn A. In fact, a lot of those episodes had action sequences even where one wasn't really needed, or where one would interrupt the flow of the storyline.

However, even with action sequences tacked on, the early part of Turn A is strictly drama-oriented. The pacing and the themes tend to tone the action down by quite a bit. Of course, this fits my tastes pretty well, so I enjoyed it immensely. I felt that it was a bit of a shame that it became more of an action show in the last half.

The point that you make about the cultural elements is quite good. However, I don't think that the execution was completely successful. The best part was actually the pseudo-Turn of the Century feel of CC North America. I think that Turn A capture the mood and the (romanticised) optimism of the period very well. It was a real breath of fresh air compared to regular Gundam shows.

^I guess my point is to say that TURN A has great action...Loss in the praise and admiration for the series (in-terms of drama, story, and characters) is the fact that it has great action...Is the action stronger than the character interaction or story? Probably not, but for people who are still action-buffs don't be confused...Turn A has some great action sequences (That don't just involve mecha-battles too--The Mass Driver arc supplies what I'm talking about)...

The action is leveled in a fashion to impress and sometimes shock you, because alot of it is unexpected...As for your other point perhaps you could be more specific because I can't recall any action sequences that seemed forced or that stymied the storyline in any fashion...The action in the second half of the series was needed because they infiltrated the Moon and had to duke it out in the process...I can't see how the story couldn't end up having more action at that point...Overall IMO, the action is well balanced throughout...Nearly perfect in my estimation (with eps 40-50 really showcasing alot of the best moments of Mobile Suit action)...

Finally, Guin Lineford indirectly capsulizes that romanticised optimism you speak of...I would assume you probably valued his character like I did...