View Single Post
Old 2011-01-23, 04:03   Link #98
outerelf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Index's more popular than Shana?

Guess it shows what I know I thought Index had just as many fans as it has haters, but Shana was generally more well liked or favored... That's My impression from everything.
The problem with a generalization like that, is that if you look at a work, the more popular it is, the more vocal the haters. Take a look at Twilight. It's a best-seller, but all people do is complain about sparkly vampires and idiot heroines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
I've always thought that was unusual, my impression was that a (light) novel, one with words and literature, would be more easily accepted than a manga...
...People don't like to read, and seeing the movements, and faces of a person talking generally ingrains it on a persons mind more. Moreover, when you translate from Japanese to English, some- or many- of the jokes are lost. Just look at Gintama. It's funny, but it's infinitely funnier if you can read Japanese.

Moreover, A light Novel, can only sell for about $5 in the West at most. It's too thin to be considered an 'adult' book. However, there isn't enough people who are of the right age group who would be seen with a LN because it looks like a kids chapter book. Moreover, once upon a time I did the math- a LN translator would make anywhere to around 4,000-5000 dollars for every translated novel. That would mean you need to sell quite a few LN's for the money cost to be efficient. However, it looks like a kids chapter book, thus people who might read it avoid it, and it's only the fans that buy it. But the publishers need some way of creating that fanbase. Thus it goes full circle.

Plus- many Japanese publishers couldn't care less about what happens outside of their own country, just so long as they sell well in their own.
outerelf is offline   Reply With Quote