View Single Post
Old 2009-07-02, 09:27   Link #7
DJLowrider
Ahou ga

Animation Quality: 7

Not the level I'm used to seeing from KyoAni, but far from being bad.

Voice Actors: 8

For a bunch of rookies they really did quite well once the characters were established enough.

Script: 4

I give the series full credit for sticking pretty well to the source material. The problem is, 4-koma manga usually doesn't give you much to work with and K-ON! has even less than usual. The embellishments they did give it felt largely forced and simply didn't establish any kind of interesting story.

Soundtrack: 9

The music makes this series, period. The OP, ED and insert songs are all fun and catchy.

Editing: 7

Not much to edit, but they did leave out a number of jokes and such from the manga.

Enjoyment: 8

In spite of its faults, the series was mostly fun to watch.

Emotional Involvement: 6

The only character I found I cared about at all was Yui. The rest of the lot were largely forgettable.

Overall: 49 / 70 = 70% = 7 (Grade is a low-end C, though it really deserves a D)

K-ON! is cute and somewhat enjoyable, but it's got all the substance of a marshmallow (which, amusingly enough, they sing about more than once). It's all fluff and very little else. One likable character, some nice music and decent animation do not make up for this series' faults, no matter how much moe you apply to try and distract the audience from them.