View Single Post
Old 2011-02-11, 09:10   Link #238
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
There's no excuse for taking another's life, period.

I'm cold and logical as well. Logic would say, he killed X, albeit in a very "cute" fashion, hence he is evil.
Logic doesn't require a person to discount the importance of intent behind an action.

Quote:
Yes, technically Kyubei hasn't sinned since he isn't aware of his sins (from what we know) or the gravity of his sins. Because he doesn't consciously hurt others (as you say, he just doesn't know better) his actions can't be labeled as sins; just as a child throwing some animal out the window of a building, in a playful fashion, ignorant to the consequences would not have technically sinned.
Very well articulated. Now, you can replace "sinned" with "done evil", and "sins" with "evil deeds", and you'll arrive at a big reason why I'm cautious about calling Kyubey "evil".

Again, even within a very cold and calculated view, intent is (or at least can be) important. If a man sincerely thinks that what he is doing is right, and furthermore can't even conceive of why others would think otherwise (Kyubey seems genuinely perplexed by how humans object to certain aspects of the magical girl role in this universe), then is he evil?

I'm still waiting for some concrete impression that Kyubey is fully cognizant of the unethical nature of some of his actions. Keep in mind that he didn't even argue "the ends justify the means" when Madoka became morally upset with him in this episode. No, instead he implied that he couldn't even understand why she's upset, or why humans get upset about this. It's a complete dismissal, not one where he says "The important thing is the larger picture, Madoka".

Long story short, I get the impression that Kyubey sincerely doesn't think that he's done anything wrong. So while his deeds may be evil from our perspective, from his, there may very well be no evil intent there.

So, while he may be evil, this lack of evil intent makes him less evil, in my view, than someone like Beatrice (Umineko), who knows what she is doing is evil, and clearly delights in it for that reason.

Quote:
Though mind you, it is a sin if he becomes conscious of it (ie. regret), even if it happened in the past, so even if he's not evil now, he'll technically be evil later…
Depends on if he ever becomes conscious of it.