View Single Post
Old 2013-07-06, 08:54   Link #26
GoldenLand
Eaten by goats

I voted for Shoko, Saki, and Akira.

Shoko

Shoko is a cheerful, strong, quirky person who isn't afraid to be herself. She's bold and she's willing to stand up for what she believes in, and she doesn't give up. When she knew that ARUS wasn't to be trusted, she did whatever she could to persuade the others to go along with her. When Akira said she wasn't her friend, Shoko still believed in her and didn't give up on her even for a moment. When Saki bodysnatched Haruto and wrote stuff on the net, Shoko knew Haruto well enough to know he wasn't the person who did it, and didn't doubt him. She's a kind and sometimes attentive person, although she can in her enthusiasm get carried away sometimes and cause distress by accident (for example, when she caused Akira's freak out on the phone).

She has a lot of political promise. Her audacity can disrupt even the best laid plans, and maybe one day she will grow into someone truly formidable. When it came to crunch time and she had to choose between her father and the lives of the people she was responsible for as a leader and friend, she knew she had to choose the latter. It's not as if that didn't hurt her badly, but she was able to make the right decision. She was very impressive. Out of the whole cast she probably has the most potential for growth, whether for good or for evil.

Saki

When she was introduced, I liked Saki's selfishness. She became a Valvrave pilot for herself, not for the sake of anyone else. She's interesting. I don't really agree with, say, her harassment of Takahi while in Haruto's body, but the things Saki does to stir things up for the lulz/her own advancement are certainly not dull.

In the end, Saki turned out to be a kind, independent and steadfast person who is very self-aware. She's gone through a lot in her life, but she's survived it all without breaking down. Resilient is good word for her. When the going got tough in her Valvrave fights, she overcame her fear and fought to protect other people.

She's level-headed and doesn't blame people for things that aren't their fault. For example, even though it seems that Saki likes Haruto and she knows that Haruto likes Shoko, Saki didn't stoop to disliking Shoko because of that. Saki is a deeply lonely person, and in some ways she feels insecure, using things like lines from films she's acted in as a mask she can retreat behind so she doesn't feel vulnerable. But despite that loneliness, she retained enough self-respect toward herself and enough care and consideration for Haruto that she didn't accept his hasty proposal.

I want to see Saki build up more bonds with people as the series goes on. She's the sort of person who has built up walls around herself because she needs to, but she'll probably be happier and even stronger if there are several people she feels she can rely on and who see her for who she really is. I'm looking forward to seeing how she'll grow into her future self, who seemed both strong and kind.

Akira

Her actions in the last episode of the series really impressed me! Despite her crippling anxieties, she was able to overcome them for Shoko's sake and fight back fiercely. I can't wait to see her progress in the rest of the series. She commandeered Boku Ja Nai to be her own, excellent theme song. Really, that was a great fight scene, even though her Valvrave has no outright weapons.