View Single Post
Old 2009-09-26, 19:53   Link #2100
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
On the topic that you've mentioned, it's hard to say where everything came from. On one hand, I (as a scientist) do not buy the argument that "life evolved from nothing through evolution." Evolution makes a whole lot of sense (and there's an abundance of evidence for it at this point), but why did things come about?
IIRC, Evolution isn't concerned with the origin of life itself (abiogenesis). It assumes that there's life going around already, and says things about how it changes itself.

Quote:
People like to claim that things that replicated themselves simply continued to do so, and over time they built up in complexity because that guaranteed their ability to replicate over everything else. Yet replication - life itself - requires energy. All forms of life, all processes of life, revert to the lowest energy level as they possibly can. It's an effort to expend as little energy as possible while gaining as much energy as possible (which also makes sense), but why should life have existed in the first place? Why did certain chemical processes build up and attempt to subvert others?
The laws of thermodynamic aren't a problem. Plenty of energy going around to feed life, after all (sunlight and volcanoes). You might as well wonder why there are clouds, instead of the water staying put in the ocean.

I understand that nothing I've said is an actual answer to the question "Where did life come from?". AFAIK, our present answers to that still involve a lot of hand waving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cub-Sama View Post
If you did go around hating on everyone who's not then you wouldn't be very christian anyway now would you?
Not so sure. The Christian thing is to love your neighbour... but also to believe he deserves to suffer in hell for all eternity if he's an infidel. So, yeah.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote