Thread: Licensed Kokoro Connect [Light Novel]
View Single Post
Old 2012-09-29, 19:30   Link #704
Lantern
<(゜∀。)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Just seen Episode 13, while good on it's own, why do I get the feeling that we're missing something? How did Iori jump from that to what she was like at the start of Volume 4?
I just watched the episode myself. I think I can answer that.

Rushed pacing. The entire first half failed to deliver the tension of the crisis, and the mini-Iori scene felt really down played (which I blame the cinematography here.) And then the second half, while I really liked adding Inaba to the picture to add to the 'friendship' dynamic, the part where Iori shifts from hesitation to determination at telling HS her final choice felt rushed as well.

In the novel, the signs are all there since Kizu. You see Iori being briefly surprised at Inaba commenting at her 'unleash (which god knows if she really did or not)' being her. And then in Kako, the anime cut out the length of Taichi and Iori's conversation on the 3rd day. Then they also cut out the part where Iori purposely left Inaba and Taichi alone for them two to have some time together. Also, in the novel version of the HS scene, Taichi's demeanor comes off as forcing that he likes her in Iori's face while the anime glorified it by adding Inaba's words of 'friends' to the picture.

All those signs when put together can be seen as she is subconsciously forcing herself to meet others' expectation including her friends. And then the bomb goes off in Michi.

So yeah, while the anime did a fine job in handling Aoki and Yui's resolution, Iori's felt rushed, despite the decent addition of 'friendship' theme.

I also have to say, even in the novel, this arc isn't ranked very high on my list compared to others, mostly because I felt the timing of Iori's family problem and the root of the problem felt a little cheesy (Aoki and Yui's story was awesome though). Then again... given this IS Iori's mother... and that we all know what kind of person Iori is... like daughter like mother. I can't say it's completely illogical.
Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote