View Single Post
Old 2013-01-28, 04:11   Link #417
Traece
:cool:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
Like Miyazaki's? Yeah..
Not even necessarily Miyazaki, or even Studio Ghibli sorts of things.

I've seen a lot of fantastic anime that cast off the shackles of Japanese society and did what they wanted to do. Often times via geographical setting, and sometimes by removing the culture. Take Darker Than Black, for instance. DTB is set in Japan but you never see that typical Japanese culture. It's nothing more than a place. The same applies to Ghost in the Shell. I suppose this is more of a trend with anime (and manga, naturally) focused on younger audiences. It's always the highschool setting with the typical Japanese stuff. That's a mold that you can break though, like Mobile Suit Gundam did. It doesn't always have to be typical highschool kid ascending to a new plane of existence in the world. GoSick and Ikoku Meiro no Croisee are good examples of taking Japanese culture and implanting bits and pieces of it elsewhere, and that's equally fantastic. Despite having sort of dropped Ikoku Meiro, I thought the premise of the show was amazing and I loved watching it because of that inventive setting. Taking Japanese culture and sticking it elsewhere was an amazing idea, because crossing cultures is just great in fiction and in real life. It's good fun.