View Single Post
Old 2010-04-06, 07:46   Link #2216
KLGChaos
The Shermain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Carpet View Post
The only real interesting thing about her past, that we know of, was her confrontation with Kumagawa. When she discovered that she can't help everybody. But there's something I want to see just as much, maybe even more, the Kumagawa. I want to see Medaka's childhood, specifically before she met Zenkichi.

I can't help but think that, before she met Zenkichi and latched onto him, she was just as lonely as the other Abnormals in the 13 Party. Takachiho, who was untouchable, desperately wanted someone to touch him. Munakata wanted to get close to people, but never could because he was scared of what he might do to them. Medaka is good at everything, so she decides to love and help everyone?
Where does that come from?

She's got perfect grades, has innumerable trophies and awards, she takes records in any sport she tries, she actually taught classes while he was in primary school, and she comes from a ridiculously wealthy family, so it's likely to say she got everything she asked for. Since her abnormality first surfaced when she was child, I bet no one, except Maguro, wanted to be around her.

Kids are stupid and shallow, they tend to get resentful when they see someone easily accomplishing something they can't do or have to try their hardest to do. Imagine Medaka, who was good at everything she tried, she must've been loathed by her entire grade. Enter Zenkichi, the boy who couldn't do anything without her as his knight in shining armor". She found one friend and latched onto him, dragging him everywhere.

Zenkichi said that she never once thought about the positions she puts him in, and that's true. Because I think she's too busy thinking about being all alone again. Without her memories of Zenkichi, she's basically a blank slate. Free to be manipulated and changed.
The problem with wanting to see Medaka before she met Zenkichi is that there never really was a time before they met. According to Zen, they've been friends since they were two years old and though I haven't been two in a long time, if I recall correctly, I was more worried about not peeing my pants than about whether or not the person next to me was succeeding. I'm not saying Medaka may not have felt lonely-- after all, she was probably able to do Calculus at that age where all the other children were still learning their ABCs (or in this case, Katakana).

So, Zen's been with her pretty much her whole life. I'm interested in seeing what she'll be like without her memories of him. I'm also curious as to what gave her the view of "I love everyone" and wanting to help them.