View Single Post
Old 2012-07-29, 18:42   Link #80
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
I would question the notion that "getting automatic weapons has become easier". Automatic weapons are still illegal outside museums, government/military/police forces, and private historical collections.
I won't argue that point, and couldn't even if I wanted to - the third point was quoted directly from the article. I don't know where the source of their data that lead them to make such a claim.

Regardless, it seems rather obvious, but I'll say it anyway: if you have more guns, you can expect to have more gun-related injuries and deaths. Remove the guns, and you will have less. It is impossible to completely eliminate guns from society (not only because society would throw a fit, but because some criminals will always find a way to get hold of guns). It is also impossible to completely eliminate murder, assault, and theft. But reduce guns, and you reduce gun-related murder, gun-related assault, and gun-related theft.

Again, it's a question of what society wants. The use of cars are responsible for many deaths and injuries, but we can't ban cars; they are deemed too vital to society. Are guns vital enough to society that we'll just have to accept the deaths and injuries related to them? It's society's choice, and the consequences of that choice are society's responsibility.