View Single Post
Old 2004-01-24, 01:49   Link #6
doremon

I have a DVD-R. You can fit about 4-5 episodes on it (if you burn it encoded for your DVD video player). I use Nero, you throw the AVI files into the program and it'll re-encode them and burn a nice little dvd with menus and the whole shebang. Another tool in the Nero suite called "Nero Recode" also lets you compress different chapters and sections so that you can fit even more episodes onto the disc if you feel like it. There are also authoring tools there that'll let you chop off the beginning and end credits and stuff. Play around with it, it's fun. But it takes a long time to burn the stuff. (I have Athlon XP 2200+ prcessor and it takes 2 hours to encode only 30 minutes worth of data, which is ridiculous)

Nero is not free, you have to buy it. You can download a fully working demo that works for 30 days. http://nero.com

Or you can burn the anime files in their original AVI format - I can fit pretty much all 26 episodes of a series that way. There are DVD players on the market that are said to be able to play most of the container formats / codecs like DIVX, XVID, WM9, and MP3. Some even connect to your network and let you watch the stuff that's shared on your network. Last I saw they weren't much more expensive than normal DVD players.

The discs are 4.7 GB but they are sold like hard drives - it's 4.7 GB if you think in terms of GB meaning 1000 bytes. It's a little marketing gimmick that's supopsed to make the hard drive look like it holds more (and make it easier for you to estimate the hard drive space in terms of 1000s) In actuality, your computer thinks in terms of GB = 1024 bytes, so really the filesystem on your DVD-R disc can hold only 4.3 GB. This sucks when your anime is JUST over the 4.3 GB threshold and you realize that you can't overburn on DVD-R discs.
doremon is offline   Reply With Quote