View Single Post
Old 2003-11-29, 09:07   Link #35
Radd
Just Married, Oct. 28th!

Seems memory doesn't go back all that far around here. I'm with Gansan, you people make me feel old, and I'm only 25!

Since I have so many favourites myself, despite being so damned picky about what I like, I'll lump franchises together.

Super Dimension Fortress Macross - Everything from the original SDF Macross, the absolutely incredible 'Do You Remember Love?', and Macross Plus, to the wonderful Macross 7 and the jaw dropping Macross Zero. In fact, the only Macross that falls short isn't even an official part of the franchise and was made without the original creators' input, (that being Macross II: Lover's Again, a mediocre rehash of 'DYRL?'.)

The Macross franchise has always been one of my favourites, ever since it appeared on American television, heavily edited and dumbed down, as Robotech in mid 80's.

Leiji Matsumoto's works, Captain Herlock, Galaxy Express 999, Space Battleship Yamato (Starblazers), Cosmos Warrior Zero, etcetera. Good, good stuff. Very oldschool. Right down to the classical style dialogue and beliefs of the characters. It helps that I absolutely adore Matsumoto's style and designs.

Yokoyama Mitsuteru's works, such as Giant Robo, Romance of the Three Kingdoms, Tetsujin 28(Gigantor). I definitely want to see more of Mitsuteru's shows, if they retain the high quality storytelling and excellent style of what I have seen.

King of Braves: Gao Gai Gar is definitely one of the best Transformers style shows out there. Machine Robo Rescue fans take note, as I belive the same creative forces are behind the two shows, but I'd have to say that GGG is decidedly the better of the two. See for yourself though, you might disagree on that, however you might enjoy the show all the same.

Here's where it gets really tough. Do I name the works of Miyazake? Spirited Away, Princess Monoke, Nausicaa and the Valley of the Wind, Laputa and the Castle in the Sky, and many others?

Do I name Lupin III, one of the greatest franchises to come out of Japan?

Do I name both, as Miyazake did direct Lupin III: Castle Cagliostro?

What about Gundam? Certainly a respectable franchise, though Macross is of the same genre and I believe it to be the better series as Gundam tends to get either redundant, or just plain crappy with the AU shows like Wing.

Rose of Versailles is certainly worth mentioning, an excellent show.

I can't sing enough praises for Legend of the Galactic Heroes, and so it shall be my 5th choice for a favourite. Rheindhart, Kircheise, Yang Wenli and all of the rest. This show definitely shows that anime can be so much more than the stereotypical giant robots and fan service. This show is intelligent, very plot and character heavy (often introducing 3 or 4 important new characters almost every other episode). Many political, philosophical, and moral questions are brought up, and the twist and turns of the show never cease to amaze. There are several points in the series where, unless you have absolutely no soul or feelings, it is practically gauranteed you will cry. I certainly hope Legend of the Galactic Heroes makes it out on DVD in the U.S. It could very well be the most important release of this decade.
Radd is offline   Reply With Quote