View Single Post
Old 2012-05-12, 10:02   Link #2353
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
Herbivorous males.

Also, consider the demographic most anime is aimed at: Teen-Young adult nerdy males. I don't know about you, but as a teen I was terrible with women(in fact I'm still terrible...), and so a lot of clichés in Anime had a certain amount of resonance. Also, seeing guys fail at romance like that has a certain element of Schadenfreude.

So the typical romantic/harem plot, whereby the loser male gets all these girls holds a lot of attraction to otaku, who may be losers themselves. It tells them "You can get a girlfriend too!".

It's as much a case of a demographic being catered to, that in the west does not get catered to. Closest thing might be Judd Apatow movies.

Also, in a society where males are dominant, there's a certain comedy in males being subservient. Consider American Family Sitcoms as well. Going back to the 30s the father is usually somewhat of a doofus, with the wife is smart. This is drawing comedy by basically flipping traditional gender norms.

For instance guy abuses a girl -> drama. Girl abuses a guy -> comedy.
I don't hit girls because I fear seeing them cry. Does that make me a herbivorous guy? Having been the heck-care type when it comes to girls and some ridiculous level of pain tolerance, I'd say that a girl abusing a guy is NOT a comedy. I still don't understand what is so funny when Sumeragi abuses me on this forum.

Naturally though, it still proves one thing : human beings, male or female, are insecure creatures.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote