View Single Post
Old 2012-06-14, 01:34   Link #1034
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Unfortunately we kept returning to the present where I had to watch a bunch of really unlikeable characters and ultimately gave up.
I had a similar feeling when I saw the film in theatre. So, I'll put it simply: That's kind of the point. You are supposed to be sickened by most of the "modern" characters because Owen Wilson's character is sickened by these characters. As the film progresses, Owen Wilson's character is forced to confront his obvious issues with modern society (over dramatized by his fiance, her ex-boyfriend, and her parents) that have lead him to either construct this amazing fantasy world of 1920's Paris or actually open a doorway to the past. Whatever the case, the ending, while very cliche, is still well earned and well told.

(p.s. Former French President Nicholas Sarkozy's beautiful wife Carla Bruni plays one of the museum guides during one of the early scenes with Michael Sheen. There's no real reason to mention this besides the fact that she is quite attractive .)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Oh, and I watched about ten minutes of Scott Pilgrim before tuning that out as well.
Not knowing exactly what you disliked, I'll give a general response. Scott Pilgrim is an intense anti-hipster film (amongst other themes of the film) that is, sadly, often viewed as a hipster-friendly nostalgia piece by many viewers (they do not see beyond the shallow surface to the films unsubtle depths (admittedly, this is the director's fault for not crafting the film to properly emphasize the too obvious anti-hipster storyline)). The entire purpose of the film is to ridicule and lambast the hipster lifestyle that has come to encompass the supposed "cool" scene (so much of Scott's behaviour is influenced by the fact that he lives in a world that encourages and endorses his awful behaviour; thankfully the film ends with Scott realizing how pathetic he is, and what he can do to change himself for the better), while simultaneously telling a very slight comedic romance about a boy and a girl that simply do not have their shit together. (To put it simply, the subtitle for the film could read: How I Learned I Was a Massive Tool and a Jerk, and What Happened After).

I'm not saying you should necessarily see the film (there is still much to dislike in the film), but it is deeper than it appears.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUAHAHAHAHAHA View Post
Woah, Annie Hall! I would say that is Woody Allen's BEST work, at least in my opinion. A touch of poignance, realism, and love.
It's hard to choose a "Best of Woody Allen", but The Purple Rose of Cairo has always held a special place in my heart (and film library). It probably helps that it was the first Woody Allen film I actually saw in theatres...

Last edited by james0246; 2012-06-14 at 01:50.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote