View Single Post
Old 2009-07-24, 04:10   Link #93
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolipopo View Post
Now that is interesting. I don't remember that but that makes sense.
(Though....technically, Hermione never saw Dumbledore die...but I guess you meant dead )
I should clarify, first of all, that Hermione does not have a Time Tuner anymore, and in the 5th book (and presumably the 5th movie) all the Time Turners were destroyed during the raid on the Department of Mysteries. So, presumably, no one would have had a time turner in which to actually go back in time.

That being said, seeing someone dead doesn't really matter (or at least it matters less than you'd think). All you would need to do is polyjuice someone to look like Dumbledore, and then kill them, and voila (pun intended), a dead Dumbledore (this possibile use of the polyjuice was shown in the 4th book when Barty Crouch Jr.'s mother disguised herself as her son with polyjuice, and then when she died, she retained the form of her son). So, conceivably, seeing a dead body that looks like Dumbledore potentially does not matter (unless there is some strange metaphysical angle involved which prevents traveling in time to fake someone's death).

What really matters is if you actually see someone die. True, the polyjuice angle still probably works (i.e. the person you saw die, could have been someone else disguised with polyjuice), but it hard to say if such an elaborate bending of time is possible, and it would definetly take several hours to pull off such a heist. The incident in question was not like the encounter between Past Harry and Future Harry in the Prisoner of Azkaban, in which Past-Harry could not see his benefactor, which allowed Future-Harry to help his past self. In this case, Harry knew the individual in question was Dumbledore, and all those present actually saw Dumbledore die. So, there was little leeway to actively use a time turner (even if they were not all broken) to save Dumbledore.

That being said, Dumbledore wanted to die...which is learned about in the 7th book.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote