View Single Post
Old 2010-03-08, 23:10   Link #2
CrazyPerson

((TL;DR version: Her AIM maintains the thermal energy level of objects in contact with her.))

I think I'm going to ahead and say why I believe Uiharu's ability isn't entropy stop, psychokinesis, microwaves, or anything requiring conscious thought.

Temperature is defined as the partial derivative of the energy in the system with respect to entropy: T = dE/dS where S is entropy.

If there's no change in entropy, the derivative goes to zero and there's no temperature. Or, at the very least there's no change in temperature of whatever object she's touching.

Now, if there's no change in temperature, that means the object she's holding can't give off or receive heat. The effect would be like touching something that's exactly the same temperature as your hand, but it isn't. This isn't the effect Uiharu has on the tayaki; it's definitely giving off heat.

The best explanation of her ability would be that she can make an object's thermal energy remain constant, just like how the guy in the ball bearings (young Kuroko episode) can maintain constant potential and kinetic energy in a ball bearing. That way, the object Uiharu's touching never decreases in temperature, nor goes up, but can still give off heat energy.

As a side note, her ability probably isn't telekinetic control over excitement state, using EM fields or microwaves of any sort. If it was, she'd be able to heat and/or cool things or basically set any object at any temperature she wished. Maintaining the heat energy level with one of these powers would require incredibly precise control of heating or cooling along with constant knowledge of the state of the energy level of the object at all times. That sounds more like level 5 control, like Mikoto having trouble keeping something from boiling over in the holodeck camping trip episode. Even she had to focus.

The flowers are a red herring, and entropy relating to chaos doesn't mean it's bad.
CrazyPerson is offline   Reply With Quote