View Single Post
Old 2011-09-27, 23:32   Link #981
Archer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarmel View Post
This is confirmed to be 25 episodes? Is there even enough material for that? Also I highly and I mean HIGHLY doubt they can keep even remotely close to that quality level throughout. Some of those shots are some of the best work I've seen in anime, period. I mean there are other components such as motion, choreography, and whatnot but the backgrounds themselves are off the charts.

As I said, I'm aware that Aniplex is pumping ungodly amounts of money into this. If this is indeed 25 episodes and they keep this quality level, I wouldn't be surprised to find out this was the most expensive anime ever produced. However as you also stated, ufotable does deserve alot of credit for this. Very few studios even with the proper money and time could pull something like this off. The only three I could think of is KyoAni, Madhouse, and Production IG. Even then I have my doubts as to whether Madhouse and Production IG could pull this off.
It's not going to be as expensive as you or several other people think it is. Take a look at the screenshots again, and you'd notice that there's a LOT of CG trickery going on in those. It's especially noticeable in the background behind Tokiomi, where you have a small number of textures simply repeating one after another.

One of the skills that ufotable picked up during the development of Kara no Kyoukai was the blending of CG and drawn animation together to reduce the amount of effort necessary for an animation scene. Several stills and detailed objects are rendered in CG, then drawn over manually to make it appear like it was hand drawn. There's the usage of bright colors in animation heavy scenes to distract from animation inconsistencies. There's a lot of shortcuts that ufotable has learned to do with those movies to save time and budget, and they're simply applying it to TV anime.

Not to say that these shortcuts aren't impressive, since they tend to blend in naturally and you wouldn't notice them at a first glance. It's a rather unorthodox method to be sure, but if that makes it appear "movie-quality", then I'm really all for it. It still will also cost a pretty penny too, but don't really think for a second that this would really completely break the bank so to speak.
Archer is offline   Reply With Quote