Thread: Project Origin
View Single Post
Old 2009-02-24, 23:06   Link #15
Jays

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aka View Post
Any actual good story with Alma connected to Beckett? Sure I know Alma is now free to roam the Earth but for not killing Beckett or being able to see Alma has to mean something.
Uh sort of, she "covets" him because he seems to have high psyconic(if that's even a word) abilities. I'd be spoiling the rest of the game telling you the depth of their connection. To say the least, it seems to be more fairly paced in a manner were you are given crucial information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aka View Post
After playing the demo of F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin a couple of times the "horror" isn't much of a bother to me thanks to the first one pretty much doing all the work does the second at least have that during the whole game?
I found the first game much, much more scary than this one, as I said almost to the point of it being smothering. The thing that the original one does so very well is convey this feeling of absolute solidarity, something that the sequal doesn't. The game never truly is as scary even if the scares are very well evenly spaced apart. Sure there were some genuiene "OMG!" moments but those paled in comparison that of the original were you absolutely dreaded them.

-

As for my own personal thoughts on the game. It's a lot of fun but at the same time it doesn't do its predecessor justice. I think the main problem is that in the context of the game, the clusterphobic setting of the original worked well within the game. In this one the spaces are larger, and this is a problem because they attempted to use the same scares as they did in the first which don't really work well in the sequal.

Action is solid and the fire fights are pretty cool; I never had a problem with the enemy variety in the original like some others did, and to be honest for all the huffing and puffing people do about this game having more, for a good 80% of the game you are still basically fighting the same kind of enemy. The mech fighting while cool, again just doesnt fit into the context of the game, like it does the opposite of what the original did.

In essence, I hold the original in very high regard, if Monolith wanted to do it differently, then they should have went all the way, seeing as many of things wrong with this game are things that were in the original and just didn't translate well because they were taking out of a context that they worked well in. I'd give this game a 4/5, I highly recommend it, even if it does have some short comings.
Jays is offline   Reply With Quote