View Single Post
Old 2009-05-31, 10:36   Link #2054
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

I'm writing a rather large essay about this which I'll eventually post at MacrossWorld (I need a good scan of the Famitsu Interview to finish it properly, however), but you can view the frustrating journey for proof here: http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/inde...dpost&p=732243 (Over there, I'm "Gubaba.")

It goes to pretty much the end of the thread, and bishopcruz and I basically say to each each, "Did you find anything?" "Nope." We moved the conversation to PM after a while because, again, we didn't want to call anyone a liar publicly (and I still don't). I researched the Ohnogi "novels," bishopcruz took on the "radio show."

Magnuskn has also been a great help, not only in translating the liner notes, but also in talking to Shaloom for me. And to his credit, he helped out even when he didn't think I was right. It would've been easy for anyone just to put their fingers in their ears and say "Lalala, I'm not listening!" but he didn't do that.

The big problem is evidence. Shaloom lists a lot of obscure sources, and when asked about where we would find stuff, he would give answers that make them even more obscure. For example, I scoured amazon.co.jp for the Ohnogi novels, and found nothing. Bishopcruz asked Shaloom about them for me, and Shaloom said they were published in "magazines like Animage and Out" between 1986 and 1988, and were never collected in book form. Bishopcruz asked which issues they were in, and Shaloom said they were serialized, so that a lot of issues from that time had a little bit of each story. Old Animage issues are not too hard to find, but Out is rare and expensive. Luckily, some MacrossWorld members had some issues of Animage from that time, and said that there were no stories in them.

The one that REALLY gets me, though, is the story "Today I wanted to Give You..." which the liner notes state is in the "Studio Nue Entertainment Bible." There are two volumes of the Studio Nue Entertainment Bibles. I searched for them on Ebay, and bought 'em (not too expensive, but not cheap, either). There was no such story in either book.

But yeah, the big question is why? I think someone would have to be pathological to make all this stuff up, and I'm not exaggerating. But that may be the case, since among my other searches, I found one where Shaloom had started a Macross radio show, and boasted that he had a certificate of authorization from Big West. I don't know how that turned out, but it sounds fishy.

Anyway, as I said, I think Famitsu is the smoking gun. Saying "I can't find anything to prove this" is not the same as saying "It's false." At this point, to me, it seems HIGHLY unlikely, unless the rest of the staff got together to eradicate all record of Ohnogi's participation. Or perhaps he didn't WANT credit, but not getting credit usually doesn't involve saying things like "Yoshino had fun mistreating Sheryl." Besides, what kind of person who didn't want credit would go on a radio show and claim credit?

So while I'm 95% sure Ohnogi had nothing to do with the show, I'll wait until a good scan of Famitsu shows up before I really pass judgment.

Oh, and I've finished the Kawamori Commentaries up to episode 11. Renato at MacrossWorld will be checking them for mistakes, and then I'll post 'em.

Again, if anyone wants the Japanese text and the scans of the pages, just let me know.
Yot-chan is offline   Reply With Quote