View Single Post
Old 2010-09-11, 17:19   Link #2832
KLGChaos
The Shermain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rejuvenation View Post
I'd believe your analogy if this were Magazine or Sunday we were dealing with. However, this is Jump we are talking about and they are the notorious "What have you done for me lately?" weekly manga anthology. They don't care about past big names that much. The fact that names like Watsuki, Takei, Sawai, and Kawashita have been casualties despite giving them a hit reinforces it for me. However, I do believe luck plays a part and I've said in the past the luck was largely the year it was serialized in. If Medaka Box debuted in 2010 it would be dead. Seeing the difference between how they treated Toriko in its first year and Double Arts when it debuted, they showed me quite clearly they don't give a shit about the name Nishio Ishin as much as people think they do.

It was like 30 something chapters. Not even a full year in real-time because there are 48 chapters in all each year if a mangaka doesn't take a personal break. That is standard length for any serious arc for a manga with action in it. What you complained about supports my viewpoint. Nishio quite clearly rushed that arc despite everything it was suppose to encompass. That resulted in characters who should have been expanded on being shafted, fights being skipped, and condensed.

The last point I definitely won't dispute though because I do see that going down to preference more. I felt that if he had as much influence as people think he has, he would actually have been able to ease up in certain areas. Of course not as void of content as Bleach, since we joked that one chapter of this manga is like 10 of that one but you get my point.
True, Jump is a lot harsher than the other magazines, I'll give you that. We'll never actually know the whole story, though.

I think Nishio rushed the action parts of the arc because he just doesn't handle action well. He's shown in past works that it's not really his thing (one shots and such). His biggest strength is his character development, interaction and his dialogue. I wouldn't really call any of the fights actual fights... more like set pieces to show off a particular power for an abnormal and then move onto the next. There was actually more talking than actual action during the action scenes.

Personally, I hate overly long action only scenes. As I get older, I find myself preferring story over fights (though WSJ isn't targeted towards my age group, so I'm more picky than the young kids who just want to see flashy moves). I like when the characters talk and interact (I made sure I read EVERY WORD of Emukae's giant speech in chapter 60... thought it was the greatest thing so far in the manga).

Of course, I think a lot of this comes down to me just being sick to death of action mangas. I read some, like Naruto and Beelzebub, of course. But there's just too many of the in WSJ. So any longer arcs that focus too much on action and fighting become a turn off after awhile. I don't have the patience to wait a year to see a fight finally end (and yes, I HATED Dragonball).