View Single Post
Old 2013-07-26, 02:57   Link #59
winhlp32
(¬‿¬)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seitsuki View Post
Gou's face is...I swear I wouldn't be able to distinguish that from an official level illustration. I can think of no higher praise.

You seem to have an issue with hands? Although to be fair they're probably something every single artist struggles with so I'm sure you already know perfectly well. One thing to watch out for is the size, I also tend to make them a bit on the small side and it looks fine until you zoom out to the bigger picture.

Kotori/Honoka, maybe tone down the movement lines a little?...for some reason it looks like her hair is falling out

Just minor stuff for Ruri, like her elbows seem awfully sharp for being pressed into the mattress(?) and her boobs are too big her neck is a bit long.

All in all, dammit how are you getting so good so fast q_q
- The praise for Gou's face really is a high praise. Thank you!
- I will take note with the size of the hands. I've been more obsessed with the form of the hand, so I tend to neglect how big it is relative to the rest of the arm.
- For Kotori/Honoka, I will start by making the movement lines a different color next time, and take other appropriate measures to have it not look like hair.
- The sharp elbow came from drawing the girl first then the mattress and not realizing the need to edit the elbows. Noted.

As for getting better... I draw everyday, and spend lots of time studying illustrations I like. So finding the time is a key I guess?

Thanks for commenting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryonea View Post
Not really, because my comments tend to be long before I realize it

What's an OEL manga? I've never heard of it. I see... a dark color makes sense since it contrasts with skin color. After I look again at Chuunibyou episodes (that's where I first find this kind face/bang coloring), it seems that it works like you said. The shades feel much more apparent on Rikka and Kumin's hair, while Yuuta and Shinka's are subtle. And almost not visible for Dekomori IMO. In your pics, I think you did them right. While they're subtle, I still can see them on Kou's and Kotori's hair

As for the tail, I can see that's difficult indeed. How to give a feel a 3-dimensional feel to it. I'm thinking a horizontal-oriented position.

Nah, don't worry about the mature body of Free! (I don't really like the artstyle anyway) I think the essence of fanarts nowadays isn't about getting as close as possible with the original material, but how to draw them with our style while keeping the aura of the character. <-- very difficult indeed.
I went back and see some Free! episodes. I thought the key for Kou's face is her slanted eyes. Going inward, after passing through the pupils, the upper eyelid lines takes a deep "dive" down. But this isn't really the case as her eyes often not seemed like that (depending on her expressions). Smaller pupils might work too. Oh, redjuice stuffs... I see

I see... it looks like Kotori is about to fall to me. but if I were in your place, I also don't really know how to make proper manga lines, though

You're welcome. It's always nice to see a progress. Also, thanks for the offer. I do hope I can draw something soon to fill this long break, but the mood is just difficult to generate

OEL manga
are basically graphic novels made generally outside Japan, and drawn in a style inspired by Japanese manga. An famous example would be Megatokyo. There are a lot of these kinds of drawings submitted onto Deviantart.

I really should draw something Chuunibyou related some day, and while I don't really like Free's character design in promo-pictures, I find them quite appealing in motion in the anime. Thanks for the lowdown on Gou's eyes.

I would browse though the usual anime picture websites and see something I like and think to myself, "I really want to draw something like that". It'll be great if you can gather the motivation to draw something.
       /
      / \|
    /
winhlp32 is offline   Reply With Quote