View Single Post
Old 2007-04-11, 15:39   Link #20
Zero Shinohara
I'll keep walking.
*Artist

Send a message via MSN to Zero Shinohara
Quote:
SC doesn't use DX 10.

BTW, I am going to buy from a local store coz it's easier to go there if a component has a problem.

"Try getting one with at least one 12v-Rail and 8-pin CPU connector" -> What do you mean by that? Is getting one with cooling system more expensive? Besides all psu I have seem only had fans. Like I said before I know shit of psu.
OH! It doesn't Holy crap, maybe I should do some research before saying stuff. Wait, it doesn't? Please wait while I go get myself a copy this instant.

Ehem.

Quote:
+12V: In modern PSUs, the most important voltage rail is the +12V rail which supplies power to components that draw the most amount of pozition current. These are usually the cpu, hard drives or other storage peripherals, cooling devices, and video cards. Current fluctuations will usually cause malfunction, hence the importance of a good +112V rail. As such, modern ATX 12V PSUs may have as many as five separate +12V rails. Like the 3.3V and 5V rails, each 12V rail has its own set of wires and connectors.
That's taken from Wikipedia, on +12V rails. So it's important stuff. I'm not an expert on PSUs as well, but it's something definitely worth taking a good look at.

And oh, don't get me wrong. When I said "Good PSU cooling" I really meant getting one with nice airflow. If yours has two or more fans, that's great. I personally don't know of any other way of cooling your PSU anyway, so air is still the best and cheapest option. I say this because my Grandma's PC doesn't have a fan in its PSU. It's only around 350W, and it's cheap, so I don't blame it.

But if you're looking to get yourself a 7950 or an X1950, you should get one with a higher wattage. I'd say that 800Watts is overkill for today's standards, but there're people that swear their system needs it, so I'll believe them on that. I'm running at 600W and think it might be too much. But when it comes to power supplies, it's always better to have more than less. I'd say a 500W should be more than enough for your system.

One of the things I don't like about my PSU is that it has only one internal CPU-exhaustion fan. It sucks in hot air coming directly from my CPU into the PSU, thus making it hotter. The 450W I had on my last one has three fans, so it's definitely in my "sweet" zone.

And I don't really blame you for wanting to buy from a local store. Since you said you never built a PC from scratch before, I'd recommend that. I hadn't either, but I took my chances and luckly encountered zero problems. I did have to RMA my motherboard to EVGA just so I could get a new revision that doesn't have an FSB cap at 1300Mhz for Quad-core CPUs. I do plan on upgrading soon, so that would be pretty disgraceful, you know. But besides that, everything went in smoothly. And boy, have I saved some money. The 8800 I bought at Newegg for 399-30 rebate is selling at Compusa for 450. Besides all the other components.

Just make sure you get some extended warranties on components like video card, motherboard and processor. They really can save lifes if you ever get into a problem.

Good luck on that

Sometimes I look back and think to myself, "how the hell did I manage to screw this up?"
Zero Shinohara is offline   Reply With Quote