View Single Post
Old 2010-11-25, 01:07   Link #125
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
While I am somewhat partial to the "quality over quantity" approach - I often find it's the top few shows that make a particular season memorable for me, rather than the season as a whole - I definitely prefer the TV format to OVAs. I like to consume my media at a steady, consistent rate, and TV series are one of the few formats well suited to this.

That said, I'm not exactly happy with the number of anime these days that utterly fail to provide a complete story. I don't mind this in 4Koma adaptations where the journey is the point, but adaptations of "ongoing" light novels seem to be really bad about this. Not only do many lack a good ending (because the source material is incomplete), but many seem to pad the series with fluff rather than actually advancing a story. And of course, previews do very little to help me separate the series with these faults from those that don't have them - that usually only becomes apparent a few episodes in.
Good points. I have to say that I really do miss 24-to-26 episode length animes. They seem to be a dying breed.

While a high quality OVA (like Gundam Unicorn or the recent Shana OVAs) can be a lot of fun and visually impressive, they just don't get the same sort of emotional investment from me that a TV series does. With a TV series, you sometimes get a chance to get attached to a character, and drama increases and builds up as the momentum of the TV series (and its overarching plot, in some cases) pushes on ahead.

With a high quality OVA you get an entertaining and impressive piece of anime, but it's either just a nice one-shot treat, or you're left waiting so long for the follow-up OVA that momentum really feels like it's lost once the next OVA arrives. That's my experience, anyway.

Anyway, few of the premises of these Wither 2011 animes really grab me.

Infinite Stratos' premise sounds interesting, but it's one of those types of shows that I find can either be Kampfer-esque or Nanoha-esque. If it takes itself pretty seriously it could be a great action-packed suspenseful anime, but it could also just be a visually appealing fanservice-driven show. Which is fine (I largely enjoyed Kampfer), but that doesn't appeal to me quite as much as something a bit more suspenseful like Nanoha's animes are.

Rio Ranbow Gate looks very nice, but what an anime can make out of a slot machine promotional character remains to be seen.

Gosick sounds somewhat promising.