View Single Post
Old 2010-11-25, 11:14   Link #128
Dr. Casey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Good points. I have to say that I really do miss 24-to-26 episode length animes. They seem to be a dying breed.

While a high quality OVA (like Gundam Unicorn or the recent Shana OVAs) can be a lot of fun and visually impressive, they just don't get the same sort of emotional investment from me that a TV series does. With a TV series, you sometimes get a chance to get attached to a character, and drama increases and builds up as the momentum of the TV series (and its overarching plot, in some cases) pushes on ahead.

With a high quality OVA you get an entertaining and impressive piece of anime, but it's either just a nice one-shot treat, or you're left waiting so long for the follow-up OVA that momentum really feels like it's lost once the next OVA arrives. That's my experience, anyway.
I completely agree with this and think that those who would rather have OVAs instead of a normal anime series for any given manga are terrible people.

And series of that length are definitely becoming less common, Kaisos. I just looked through a list of anime from 2002, and the majority of the series from that year - I didn't keep track, but maybe somewhere around 60-70 percent - were at least 24 episodes. There were also a good number of shows with episode count in the 30s, 40s, or 50s as well.
Dr. Casey is offline   Reply With Quote