View Single Post
Old 2009-10-01, 18:25   Link #69
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
While we're on the topic of file uploads - although I mentioned on the main page of the wiki that uploaded images should result in a thumbnail of 180 pixels wide to about 120~130 pixels height, you should not upload them as such thumbnails. I recommend a minimum width of 300 pixels for uploaded images, unless you can't find any bigger image.
So I've replaced my image with one that's larger and in the 1.4:1 aspect ratio, but when I look at it in the Wiki it's horribly pixelated. Clicking on the image itself returns only the 180x128 thumbnail, not the full-sized image. The Wiki page reports the correct size for the original of 629x449, but it won't show me that version, just the thumb. I'm confused.

Are the thumbs created on the fly and stored in place of the originals, along side the originals, or only generated dynamically when the page is viewed? If the answer is that only the thumbs are stored, then why does the Wiki report the actual size of the original if that's not really available? What advantage does it serve to upload the full-sized images if I can generate a decent 180x128 thumbnail myself in the GIMP?
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote