View Single Post
Old 2010-06-17, 03:38   Link #11196
Oliver
Back off, I'm a scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laserworm View Post
My idea is that she wants everyone to be happy. She hoping that by some miracle the witch Beatrice will be born, and make everyone happy with her magic. There are points in the story where it is said. The more people that believe the higher chances are that it might occur. So even just 1 or 2 of the family believing might allow that miracle to happen, she is probably thinking.
So you are thinking that someone on the island is actually of a firm belief that the bodily resurrection of Beatrice will occur if sufficient belief with no unbelieving observers is accumulated, and Beatrice will then be able to undo all the murders and bestow gifts as prescribed by the epitaph?

Mind you, that wouldn't be new, and is often cited as the motive for Shkanontice-based interpretations. Generally, such an interpretation is not well liked for the simple reason that such a belief implies heavy delusion if not simply insanity in whoever holds it, and involves holding up a contradiction. Namely, that magic doesn't exist, so you have to fabricate it, and that magic exists, so that all your fabrications are justified in the end.

P.S.: There's another hole in it, but that one is easy to plug. Namely, if I believe that with no unbelieving observers within range, Beatrice will be resurrected, and I believe in Beatrice, so am not an unbelieving observer, I don't need closed rooms. Killing everyone myself is perfectly fine and will achieve the same result quicker.

This link has been determined hazardous for the spoiler averse
by the Department of Education.
(updated 2010-08-24)
Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote