View Single Post
Old 2012-07-10, 16:50   Link #132
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destined_Fate View Post
Which goes back to the time allotment reason. They did the best they could with the time they had to invest on Asuka and Shinji. She wasn't around all that long after all so obviously it isn't going to feel like there's a whole lot of depth is in their relationship(Or any relationship really thus far in the Movies). They spent very little screentime together while the Movie acts like they Asuka has been around for a bit of time after her appearance. The third movie should provide more substance since Asuka seems to be playing a larger role. That and tv series fans already know that Asuka and Shinji liked each other when they first met, they just weren't all that obvious about it as quickly as the Movie versions.

Toji in the TV series had plenty of time and build up towards the scene, he was around for a number of episodes before than even if he's just a supporting cast member. So of course it's easier to feel bad for him, that still doesn't change that Shinji reacted far Asuka than he ever did for TV Toji.
I was discussing the time spent on development on relative terms. Toji's development was spread across the entire story, aka half of it! If it had been done the same way in the movies, it would be less time in absolute terms, but the amount of the story focused on it would still make it relevant. As I've said again, the priority and focus is simply off, causing Asuka to be half baked. It doesn't matter if the movies were 30 minutes long, or it were 30 hours long. And certainly, movies aren't inherently shallower, just because they are shorter. They don't have to be. All there is, is really excuses and justifications.

And I brought up Toji exactly because he was a minor character, and a minimal amount of time was required to establish the significance of his character. Hell, a lot of his scenes could be cut out and it wouldn't lose a single iota of depth. There really is no excuse for a major character like Asuka, and I certainly felt the movie wasted time on more pointless things (aka cooking contest, etc).

As for Shinji reacting far more for Asuka, well, that makes even less sense then, because the reasoning is weaker. Unless you are referring to EoE where she is literally the only person left for him, and of course that simply makes sense in itself with minimal explanation. This isn't the kind of stuff that needs the in depth exposition the show provided. Regardless, besides the most superficial aspects, I don't think it's the same at all.

Tl;DR: Simplifying things due to time constraints can reduce complexity and depth, but I would say it didn't have to be reduced to that degree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yot-chan View Post
I'm absolutely serious... If the preview shows how bad Rebuild is, how come the ENTIRE preview, as far as I can see, is Asuka kicking ass? NONE of the other characters show up at all!
Asuka kicking ass and Rebuild being bad aren't mutually exclusive. It's really not one of the issues that people didn't like.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote