View Single Post
Old 2010-07-16, 20:40   Link #13991
Kylon99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatth View Post
Please, don't misunderstand me. Although I said I don't like it, I think it is a very interesting well thought theory. I wouldn't be surprised if it is what Ryuukishi is going for in the end. I just don't quite get how exactly this can used to discover the mystery. Or if it was your intention when creating the theory.
Well the Author Theory requires an author. And so far we've been led to believe that Hachijou is the author of EP3-6. (I'm thinking she *found* EP3-4 though and wrote EP5-6.) But there must be another Author for EP1-2 whom we call Beatrice because of the match in handwriting.

Because the Author knows so much about what's going on on Rokkenjima, she must know something of the truth which she leaves behind in the stories.

You can still use what is going on in the episodes to try and discover the truth. But you can also try to track down who the author is based on the person most likely to have done this and by the truths she must know in order to have written this. Because this author cannot have just popped out of nowhere and written about the Rokkenjima Explosion Incident.

Quote:

That would be Hachijo's forgery right? The message bottle are just for the 2 first Episodes right? Anyway, what would be that scene then? Due the narration and Hachijo speech in the end, it can't be Reality.
Right. It's possible that the message bottles describe only EP1-2. It's never really said how many. Theoretically there could be many more stories though but in the end it's really about who the authors are. And as for Hachijou, I'm thinking that she's trying to include real elements in order to promote her story a bit more, so putting a scene of herself and Ange would do that.

Quote:
By Ending Roll I mean the very first one. Latter they act more like a sumary of what happened in the Game Board. However, the first, in addition to that sumary, it also tell us how the first message bottle was discovered and how the children corpses were not found , except for Maria's jaw. Rereading, I also noticed that it never mention no one survived (although it mention the police thought, at first, that the chances of anyone survive was slim. But if Eva was in Kuwadoria at time, this would match) the accident and that it was just after the discovery of the message bottle that people started to believe it was a mass murder.

Going by your theory, this can be one of the only actual description of the Reality we got so far.
Well, there are actually more. Ultimately we don't have, and probably will never get a view of Rokkenjima Prime. But we do have scenes from the Epsiodes which are a reflection of reality.

Like for example if you have a story about some characters on the Titanic. They may be fictional, but the Titanic and the story about how it sunk (the iceberg, the splitting of the hull, the temperature of the water, etc) must reflect reality. Titanic the movie however is fictional, but the director used the fictional characters to guide us through the events. Like for example the Captain was not fictional but maybe some of his crew was.

So for example in Umineko, the idea that Kinzo is dead starting of all games (episodes) must be a reflection of Rokkenjima Prime. The author(s) must know this before being able to write. There are many other things which form the 'setting' and particulars of Rokkenjima that the Author must know before she can write. Another example is the 10th Twilight Bomb leading to the Geological Event. We call this 'Core Truth' and it's similar to Red Text. If an author writes with this wrong, then people can realize that the author doesn't know the truth very easily. Like if Cameron changed the story of the Titanic so that they repaired the hull and sailed on and everyone had a happy ending. 8)

Similarly, there are things which are just unknown at the time, or can't be known which allow for the Author to speculate. Who got their hands on the guns; if they did at all? Where did they run to? Did they even know a murderer was loose? Did they know about the bomb? This is similar to Blue Text.

I figure there should be an analog to the Gold Text at the author level. It may have something to do with how the author can choose to make things true for their particular story but not for all stories.
Kylon99 is offline   Reply With Quote