View Single Post
Old 2012-03-21, 17:10   Link #30
Forsaken_Infinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
And, through my church, I have been teaching ESL to a small group of foreigners, among them Koreans and Hispanic people. Well, the more I dive into English (for lessons and topics)... the more I realize: "English sucks!"

English is a rather weird language, most definitely. But I don't think it sucks. It has its merits. It has a larger vocabulary than most languages and it adapts well to foreign vocabulary so it can keep on expanding. It also has such a large volume of literature and is so widespread that there is no way I can agree to a flat out denial of the language's charm. English is a magnificent language in its own right. And it isn't all that hard to learn either.

Quote:
For example, how we define "anime" vs how Japan does. Then, you end up with people thinking like... Forsaken_Infinity's long winded answer above.
Please do elaborate. I kind of know that anime is just how they call animation in Japan. But what else? I simply substituted anime for Japanese animation in my post while I was comparing western animation vs Japanese animation. I don't think there was anything wrong with that. How (and where exactly) misguided was that? Also, bear in mind that while I am using English as my primary language and it just so happens to be the language I am most comfortable with now, I grew up in Asia and am fluent in 2 more languages (lacking vocabulary due to lack of use though) while having varying levels of knowledge of many more. So I don't essentially think the same way someone raised in an English speaking environment does.

Quote:
Especially this section:

I can think of another medium that does this:

Books

I say this, despite being one of the most poorly read people on the planet. And many of these books (print media) have been made into movies (video media), just as many manga (print medium) has been ported into what we call anime (video media). For now, "anime" is put into this special pedestal because nothing else compares to it visually, with exception of Pixar.

Come to think of it. Part of me can't wait to see what happens when a Japanese studio really masters 3D animation. So far, these have been limited to video games, although SquareEnix have tried a movie or two.
I was comparing western animation vs anime though ^^. I didn't say that there wasn't a single other medium that tells a human tale. Perhaps I should have elaborated a bit more on that very short part of the post where I was comparing animation vs written literature. I don't think anime is "superior" to literature whatsoever. In fact, I think very much the opposite. But I do think anime has an unique flair. And that anime brings things to live in a different manner than literature does. Heck, I think I made it plenty obvious that I like western animation just as much as anime when it's done well. I don't think I put "anime" into a special pedestal because nothing else compares to it visually. For one, I am not overly concerned with the visuals. For another, I am not exactly fond of the anime/manga art style any more than I am of well-done "western" art. All I said was merely that "in general", "anime" tend to tackle complex themes and tell a more relevant story than most western animation. I didn't say western animation is unable of producing works that deal with those (in fact, I gave examples to the contrary). I also said in my post(s) that I dislike anime, as in the collection of animated shows from Japan, in general. It's just that even with all that, "anime" tackles adult themes while western animation is either very obscure and academic or is very dumbed down politically incorrect comedy for adults or very dumbed down shows for kids. In general.

Also, if you really are one of the most poorly read people on the planet, then you are just about the last person I want to be told off from for not considering that books attempt complex themes etc. Because I can say with utmost confidence that I have read more than most people. And I enjoy a well-written narrative a lot more than any other medium.

But that wasn't the point. I was simply telling Tatsuyama-san that I love anime and I was pointing out my reasons for loving it. I compared its strength and weaknesses vs western/international animation in a very crude and generalized manner. But I also acknowledged that anime is, in fact, just animation. But you can't deny that the word anime also refers to the uniquely Japanese works of animation. And I was trying to lay out my views of that particular subset of animation. I don't see why you are implying that my attempts were misguided but please, do elaborate.

I do realize that I made many generalizations in my post but I was only trying to keep it simple. Generalizations are perhaps not the best way to achieve that but they most certainly are the easiest. Considering I am a lazy person, I took the easiest approach. Apologies for that. But I trust my reader to take what I say with a grain of salt, especially if I let them know that I am generalizing things.

Argh.. I have a severe case of the disease that makes you edit your posts over and over, again and again. I also can't help but compulsively reply to any point I see in a post addressed to me. I apologize if my thoughts thus appear incoherent. I can't quite help it.

I already told you that I don't put "anime" in a special pedestal as in considering it superior to other medium. But I do hold it in a special pedestal as in acknowledging it as a unique and useful medium of storytelling with its own flair and approach that can't be replaced by another medium. Western animation would come close but it wouldn't quite be the same as "anime".

What I wish to address now is that part of your post where you claim that literature has been adapted into movies in the same vein as manga into anime. It's true. But it doesn't mean live action adaptation manages to portray the same picture as animation can. You seem to have missed the part of my post where I compared my feelings towards live action to animation. I prefer animation over live action because it helps me be more objective. And as unreal as it sounds, animation is more real than live action to me. Because live actors are faking their part while animated characters are living their "real" life. But I don't mean to diss movies altogether. Movies are just as valid a medium for storytelling. They aren't inferior but different. I even acknowledged that at least in the west, live action is where I can find complicated stories and not animation. In general. But live action adaptations exist in Japan as well. And animated adaptations of literature exist outside Japan as well. Light Novels are getting more and more popular as the source for anime than manga. My point here is that live action and animation are separate medium. One can't replace the another. But, in general, I prefer animation over live action. Certainly so in the case of Japan where live action adaptations are epic fails while "anime" are beautiful works of art. Certainly not so the case outside Japan. In general.

Last edited by Forsaken_Infinity; 2012-03-21 at 17:53.
Forsaken_Infinity is offline   Reply With Quote