View Single Post
Old 2010-03-13, 23:55   Link #38
Bananoha
♨(ゝω・)v

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00-Raiser View Post
You mean he didn't mention O-O-O-ORANGEEE?!?!?!
Most seiyuu.... don't really talk about their characters like that unless it's in an interview or something. Which is something I'm thankful for because if I hear Mizuki Nana rant about White Album again.... Or her fagging over NanoFate....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nya~n View Post
obsessive love is a creepy thing(completely ignoring the fact that i've been keeping my fingers crossed that OtaEri would someday get herself a twitter). obsessive haet less so. Though the truthful answer to that would be that i've finally grown tired of her. It's like vindaloo curry. It's ok when you're crazy about it. But after a while it just starts taking the roof of your mouth off and then you'll start hating it.
One day, I'll understand this.

norly, I'd understand losing interest, but the hate seems a bit much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
  • Emotional range: Different emotions require different voices. Variety in this gives the character more personality.
And I immediately thought of Toyosaki Aki, lol.
Quote:
  • Character personality match: Does the voice match the personality of the character? A serious character with a not so serious voice can potentially ruin the character.
Blame the sound director that hired the seiyuu. ;P

To be more serious, I can't judge a seiyuu's acting ability on if they're given a character that "doesn't match their voice." I think Yukarin's voice is horrible for the infamous Kugyuu tsundere roles, but the acting is still good. And now I'm thinking about when Nagi and Zange switched voices.
Quote:
  • Vocal range: Can I recognize the VA in every role she does? If yes, then she will have scored low here. Dutch VA's doing the dubbing of the few anime we get here have a permanent track record of being horrible in this regard.
Vocal range just makes a seiyuu more versatile: versatility =/= how well they can act

Example - Noto Mamiko's range is horrible. But if you give her a character that suits her voice fcuk you SetoKai, the results can be amazing. She pretty much is a real life Sawako.... Such an angel~

Let's look at the other side. Takahashi Mikako is somewhat versatile, but her rittle boya voice is pretty meh. Kugyuu's isn't too great either.
Quote:
popular Seiyuu can be cast because of their specific voice
Let's add onto this!
  • Connections with people in the industry
    - Here's looking to you, guy whose name I don't care to remember but is totally in love with Kawasumi Ayako and Noto Mamiko.
  • Connections with fellow seiyuu
    - Tamura Yukari x Horie Yui lol Yamato Nadeshiko is probably the strongest one. The funny thing is that Yukarin's been in more shows with Nakahara Mai.
    - THAT ONE DIRECTOR AND HIS KAWASUMI AYAKO AND NOTO MAMIKO ARGH.
  • If they've been in popular series
    - yo sup girls of K-On! and I guess Haruhi to some extent HELLO ANY NON-KEYANI YET STILL KYOANI SHOW except Munto lol
  • Others
    - Singing, song writing/composing/arranging totally not the seiyuu trying to get some money, some seiyuu have dabbled into sound directing, script editing etc. within the anime industry
    - Notice how Mizuki Nana is getting a lot more roles because of her breaking rec- zzzz
    - I'll have to say appearance to an extent because people like to look at cute seiyuu in seiyuu magazines. Poor Itou Shizuka who wanted to be a seiyuu because she thought people wouldn't be able to see her face....
    - Languages/dialects is what I think I'd call it. Ueda Kana is the girl to go to for Kansai-ben now and before it was.... Hisakawa Aya? Another thing they might look for is a seiyuu's background, like how Hayami Saori, despite being young, is very good formal speech and making it sound natural. I guess her MariMite-like background shows.
Quote:
Personally I just judge by how much I like the sound of their voice
That's.... so mean. ;_;
Quote:
That is pretty much it to me. I'll hear a voice and go "Hey, I like how they sound. What else have they been in?" so I'll go to ANN and look up who played them. Whether or not I remember their names depend on how much I like their voice and how often they appear in shows I like playing characters I like. I have my favourites (though I don't follow their personal lives or anything) and I have been known to watch a show solely because of it's voice cast (Saki comes to mind as an example).
That's how I used to be.

.... And now look at me. orz

Actually, it's pretty fun knowing how most seiyuu are just everyday, normal people. Like how Nakahara Mai was short on rent and had to borrow money from her [I believe younger] sister because being a seiyuu sucks unless you're a seiyuu idol and even then you're not that rich unless you compose, arrange or write the lyrics to songs. Or how about Ueda Kana's obsession with Halo video games and mahjong to the point where she sometimes goes to the recording studio dead tired. I think Kana-sama has a younger sister too. But yeah, speaking of lack of money, I believe Kana-sama delivered hot food to people for one of her part-time jobs when she wasn't enough roles.

Ahhh, Kana-sama interests me far more off-screen than on. I'm actually somewhat out of the seiyuu loop now, at least until I actually learn moonrunes. I only have time for Yukarin and maybe some Nana and Minorin. ;-;
Quote:
Originally Posted by seiftis View Post
And then just few months ago while watching Aoi Bungaku, I heard this character's voice, thinking "Ah darn, such good voice, who's this?" Checked ANN, and it's Mizuki, can't believe I didn't recognize her this time. Her voice should be obvious sometimes.
Sakai Masato's horribleness can make anyone shine. That was the worst arc for him, especially voice wise. Arghhhhhh, totally forgot about how he sounded like too. :|

…少し…頭冷やそうか…?
Bananoha is offline   Reply With Quote