View Single Post
Old 2013-09-17, 08:20   Link #213
Byakou

I don't know how to say it in a way you'll understand "Hmm", the world of attack on titan does not resemble the middle ages beyond superficial aspects. I can tell you haven't studied the middle ages in detail.

Your understanding of the previous discussion is wrong. Petra's father expected that his daughter would quit her job in the recon corps when she got married. This is a modern Japanese concept, women take jobs but when they get married it's expected they will quit their job and focus on family. I pointed out that this shows that the author unconsciously projected his Japanese views onto western characters.

Someone jumped to defend the author stating that he planned this because the series takes place in the past. If this society was on the same level as the middle ages, a woman would not have gotten a place in the army to begin with. Women's rights wise, the society you see in attack on titan is clearly as advanced as ours. This also suggests that the series takes place in the future - they've lost their technology but the beliefs they held before endured.
Byakou is offline   Reply With Quote