View Single Post
Old 2010-06-26, 16:08   Link #11754
Marion
The Great Dine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafsnail View Post
Rudolf sortof matches Beelzebub in terms of sexual desire... and the rivalry between Mammon and Beelz kinda matches the rivalry between Eva and Rudolf.

Incidentally - on "Hideyoshi is gluttony because he's fat", apparently the murderer in ep 1 thought so .
If it was based on sexual desire only then Rudolf would be Lust. Gluttony is overindulgence in reference to EVERYTHING. That's what makes it so similar to Greed.

However, I think there is a definite reason that Rudolf fought Belphegor. I can't imagine Ryukishi making Kyrie fight her sin, but just throwing a random sister at Rudolf. When an author writes a story and includes a certain detail, it's there for a reason. This especially applies to mystery stories. You can say that how the stakes are matched up doesn't matter, but I think it does because it gives better insight to a character.

Rudolf is sloth to me because he is ultimately a very passive and lazy person. In EP 5 Kyrie was helping him with his issues with Krauss, even though she no longer works in his company as his business associate. Rather than acting on the lawsuit with a plan, Rudolf waited to see how another company fared in a similar case to decide what to do. Instead of paying attention to his family he pays attention more to himself, ignoring what others might think (EP 3 he outright said he wouldn't mind selling his spot on the hierarchy for money, while both Eva and Natsuhi said it would be selfish and disgraceful). Rather than thinking through he goes for cheap lazy tricks (he himself admitted that the duel with Belphegor was unfair to a point because he tricked her).

Nobody fits the definition of Sloth out of the seven adults better than him. Natsuhi is a works incredibly hard for the entire family's sake, Krauss at least attempts to take action, Eva works hard for the sake of her family, Kyrie is always trying her best to keep her shaky family afloat and primarily takes care of Ange and Hideyoshi is also working hard in his company. The only other person you can argue for sloth would be Rosa, but I personally think she fits Lust far better.
Marion is offline   Reply With Quote