View Single Post
Old 2012-10-12, 07:24   Link #52
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

While I agree that what we might call "traditional slice-of-life" shows are rare today, they do still exist. The most recent example is Showa Monogatari. It portrays a lower-middle-class Japanese family during 1964, the year the Olympics came to Tokyo. The family faces its share of issues -- financial problems, a difficult teen-aged daughter, a son who does not want to take up his father's machine-tool business, etc., etc. There is nothing earth-shatteringly dramatic about any of these conflicts; they are just the sorts of issues ordinary people face as they try to live their lives. This type of show would be played for laughs as a situation comedy in the US, but the Japanese treat it seriously. I wouldn't call it high drama, though, because the issues are not "big" enough. Nor is it a working-class tragedy like the plays Arthur Miller wrote after the War. Showa Monogatari is just, well, "slice-of-life."

I'll readily admit that shows like these are not common, but they are distinctive and, in my admittedly constrained view of world popular culture, distinctively Japanese.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote