View Single Post
Old 2008-02-26, 13:05   Link #49
Tiamat's Disciple
Disciple of the Flames

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinsI View Post
I'm talking about the same process here, and not different industries or concepts.

"They are professionals, they will do it better", huh?
Argument rejected!
Not all of the professionals are better than all of the amateurs.

The problem is with the translation process itself, not with the level of staff.
And of course it is the same with any language, not only japanese or english.
Fanfic can be even better than the original, but it is still going to be a different thing that gives you a different experience, and translations are just fanfics that more-or-less strictly follow the original(you'd be surprised at how often they add or remove random parts here and there).
I didn't say they ALWAYS do it better, hell i'm vocal in when they don't.

However in novels i've found that they DO do it better than when it's done by fans. And yes, because they're professionals they have a better understanding of the language intricacies, especially in japanese.

I know a few people who translate japanese novels to english, so i know what im talking about here. I also know afew who translate them for the german market aswell.

In anime and manga i've found that fan translations generally are better than the official releases. However for novels i've found it the opposite most of the time. I've found the official translations to be better, and yes i have compared them.

Unless you can present specific examples, your argument is groundless.
Tiamat's Disciple is offline   Reply With Quote