View Single Post
Old 2008-10-22, 14:25   Link #63
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
That's a never-ending argument with some (including me ). Just to hopefully cut the usual noises short:

I view "loli" as a descriptive term, not an age bracket. Adult women can be "loli", people can dress "loli" and so on.
A fair number of folks view it as an age bracket. Even viewed as an age bracket there are disputes because the term derives from "lolita" which pegs the age bracket between pubescence and "legal" (varies by locale). A series like Moe-tan satirizes the "high school girl who looks like a 4th grader". Some fans include actual pre-pubescence ages (see the series Kodomo no Jikaan for reference).

As for myself, I call Taiga elfin or petite. I personally wouldn't necessarily call her loli unless she dressed the part. However, many fans call her archetype "loli-tsundere". She might be also what is referred to as "petanko" (small/flat breasted) BUT from what I've seen, she seems to have a figure appropriate for her size. The ratio between her and Ryuuji almost matches the ratio between my wife and I. Japanese women can be really small in comparison to European stock and still have a figure.

As a reference, my wife (japanese heritage) is 4'10" (147cm) and I'm 6'0" (183cm). Her weight is 95lbs (43kg) and that value has held true since she was in the 9th grade. Irritatingly but in the interest of full disclosure, my weight is about 210lb but I'm trying to drill down to 190lb (it was 225 last year).

I'm trying to find Taiga's and Ryuuji's height, no luck so far -- I doubt Ryuuji is much more than 5'8" (172cm) which would make Taiga about 4'7"(138cm) using ratios.

UPDATE: the Toradora! english wiki puts Taiga's height at 143.6 cm (4' 8.5") -- (the height of a couple of my wife's cousins). That means Ryuuji is probably 5'10" as well as Kitamura ... they probably got to know each other from being in the back of the lines together all the time.
I would say Taiga is more of a tsun-loli for the sake of her looks, like Nagi Sanzenin from Hayate. Calling her petite is a little unnatural for me because she looks like a doll, behaves like a doll (or at least in the way Shinku does in Rozen Maiden) and usually dresses much closer to the loli way. IMO dolls can never be petite.

You might want to call her a tsun-dollfie, but that is another story after all.

P.S I can't believe I invented all these terms for that girl. Alfred Nobel owes me a literature prize for this.