Thread: Licensed The Sky Crawlers
View Single Post
Old 2009-03-06, 19:05   Link #84
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubczyk View Post
If you want intelligent, Read War and Peace, not watch this. Don't try to pass off a couple instances of probable symbolizes and a pacifist message as intelligent. Just because one can commit their thoughts to audio, text or film does not make it intelligent.

Intelligent and philosophical are two things the Sky Crawlers is not.

Spoiler for My Thoughts:
Well, again, if "war and peace" is all you saw in this movie, then the limitation is as much yours as the movie's. In my very first post in this thread after watching it, I've already described The Sky Crawlers as a whodunit — a mystery based on sci-fi concepts (the original novelist is known for being a detective-fiction writer) — rather than as a "war movie" or an "action film".

To me, the central idea is about Suito Kusanagi, rather than about the war itself. The war provided a backdrop for a series of character studies leading to an inevitable conclusion. If it's philosophy per se you're looking for, then this movie will of course disappoint — Oshii had been very tame about applying philosophy to this movie as compared to, say, Ghost in the Shell. That's why, all along, I've been describing The Sky Crawlers as his most accessible film to date — it's accessible because of its relative lack of moralising, which Oshii is usually fond of.

The "war" in this movie is peripheral. That you see it as the central theme suggests that you've entirely missed its point, so it's no wonder that you dislike it. You wanted a different movie which you didn't get, so whose fault is that? False advertising, perhaps.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote