View Single Post
Old 2006-05-04, 01:46   Link #23
Muir Woods
Disheartened and Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinstrife
I find this post funny. You're 20, and you're expecting to suddenly be mature and more wise? There really isn't much difference between 16-20 in most cases. I'm 26, and I feel 20. I don't think you really have to worry till you reach your late 20's, before you realy see a change. You have far to go still my young padawan.
I think you misunderstood my post. I pretty much agree with you, as I basically said the same thing, but perhaps my words were a bit too condensed. But in addition to that message, there's another point I wanted to make. There is an apparent illusionary difference between the displayed age of 19 and 20. When one sees age 19, one tends to associate that age with "teenager", along with qualities of that age: immaturity, lacking knowledge...etc. Then I turned 20, and with 2 as the decade digit, one tends to relate that age with qualities of the twenties: with additional wisdom and experience. These statements are robust only when it is taken on average and in general, and of course there are always exceptions (I like to think I am one). But it's this age group association tendency that may have an effect on the impression of one's words. A 18 and a 19 years old expressing high discourse, and one might have about the same impression of both these people. But a 19 years old expressing high discourse compared to a 20 years old, the 19 years old somehow sounds more impressive, and certainly more so than a 30 years old. I do not know how susceptible other people are to this, if at all, but even though I know better, I certainly cannot deny I feel a slight tug of influence from one's age when I judge and evaluate the character of others. But I'm rambling again. Sorry for driving this thread off topic.