View Single Post
Old 2009-09-19, 00:26   Link #1856
Siddyus
The Insidious

Quote:
I disagree with your first statement there, and the second is something subjective that nobody can prove or disprove, even if we go through dozens of historical examples. Out of curiosity, what is it that makes you think that without religion, conflict wouldn't be at the same degree as it is now?
Well, as i've pointed out already. Religion is more trouble than its worth. Sure it brings order to communities. And I cant deny religion's role in cementing our modern society. But as we know it in this world. Nothing can be perfect and though religion strives to be perfect. In the long run it is only causing disorder and chaos for in the end there will be people who would misinterpret doctrines or manipulate them to their own advantage. Pure example of em are the former popes of the medieval ages. Muslim extremists. etc etc...

Think about this. If for example our world right now had no religion. I believe our conflicts would only be limited to conquest wars as what had been happening in the ages past. No one would kill an entire civilization since the god they are worshiping are blasphemous.

Now you would say religion is what gave us morales etc etc That without religion we would be killing ourselves and everybody else. then what about your evolved brain? sure we still have animalistic behaviours left from our transition into a modern humanoid species. I believe humans could function well, without religion. Though I cant deny religion's influence regarding our behavior. But, what I am only saying is. We can stand on our own and be civilized if we wanted to.

Religion has its ups and downs. Religion surely helped us in our lives. But the "side effects" of it outweighs everything good it has done. Caused meaningless deaths. etc etc

I still have a religion. But I dont devote myself to the point that I would shun every muslim I see or force my mates to believe in my religion as the only thing that is worth believing in. I hope many religious zealots out there could be like that someday. A good substitute of totally having no religion.

Siddyus is offline   Reply With Quote