View Single Post
Old 2009-09-30, 01:30   Link #2196
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cipher View Post
"Passive Christianity", are there really Christians with that faith?

In comparison, Muslims aren't considered what they are unless they practice. We really have to submit to God and his teachings.
I hate to ruin your day but there are many, many 'secular' Muslims who are relatively passive about their faith -- it depends on the country we speak of and the other traditions in place prior to the arrival of Islam, it depends on how they interpret and execute the teachings of Islam. A Muslim in Iran is a very different Muslim than one in Malaysia or Indonesia (though they do share common threads).

Christianity has been around a much longer period (and Judaism even longer)... societies may have "christian" history, underpinning, etc. but it doesn't mean that many people who consider themselves Christian actively think about it much. That goes for Europe, Canada, and even the US amongst other places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiga
I suppose I don't like being told that I "reject" God because to me God was never a default. I don't believe God exists, and I can't reject something that (from my perspective) doesn't exist.
The game presupposes that everyone is using the same framework (that the Bible is some axiomatic source, that we agree there is a particular kind of monotheistic God that manages to be personal and yet universal, etc). So the questions are framed that way with those assumptions. The 7th-Day Adventist's who visit me - their entire script assumes that and breaks down when confronted with someone who isn't even in the same stadium.

I really don't want to screw with them -- if their odd little version of Christianity makes them happy and doesn't "scare the cattle" I'm fine. But the harder they press me, the more likely I'm going to have to point out the analysis that led me to where I'm at. And that's likely to scare or appall them. FYI, the Adventists aren't considered particularly mainstream within Christianity but if anyone is interested, they're easy enough to wiki/google.